Sunday 5 October 2008

Fun on the farm!

We have had a lovely weekend. It has been a complete mixture with yesterday being full of jobs (washing, cleaning, shopping and cooking) as well as the coldest trip to the park in ages...it was blowing a gale and drizzling and was quite frankly freezing cold. Alex enjoyed himself though so that was the main thing. In the evening I cooked a roast chicken with all the trimmings (my favourite meal) and we watched a lovely movie, Mansfield Park.
This morning we went to the Alpaca farm in the Mayfield valley which I have to say was a bit of a let down, although we did actually get to say hello to the Alpacas which was nice.
From there we headed off to Whirlow Fam Park and were given a fantastic tour around the working farm, seeing all the pig pens, chickens, eggs, turkeys, horses, dogs and rabbits. Alex loved all the animals although I think dogs are still the favourite. Everytime he sees a dog he goes 'Woof Woof' which is really cute! I fell in love with the pigs who are all really friendly and come running up to snuffle your hands and say hello. It was a lovely birthday treat to me, especially as the sun came out while we were there.
This afternoon, while Tim had a much needed nap, Alex and I went to the park where he had a wonderful time stomping through the puddles...I really must get him some wellington boots!
I have also managed to do quite a lot of crafting this weekend including making 6 more of the 'inchie' Christmas cards as well as three Christmas cards using the Cuttlebug embossed images. This first one was embossed onto metal (kindly done for me by Kath (lazykay)) and I coloured it with alcohol inks (bottle, gold, terracotta and currant). It creates a fantastic look which I love. The second one also uses the same alcohol inks, but onto acetate which had been put through the embossing machine...the definition isn't as clear here, but it does still create a nice effect. For the next three cards I coloured the embossed images with chalks and then added different pictures. For this one, being Christmassy, I chose a traditional image of a Robin.
For the leaves folder I coloured them all the same chalk colour and then added butterflies and an image from the Country Diary of an Edwardian lady set.
This final card uses brown chalk for the birds, red chalk for the berries and green for the leaves and an image from the Country Diary of an Edwardian lady set. When I looked at this afterwards I realised I could have used a picture of a robin and made this a Christmas card. I would love to know what you think about all of these. More soon,
Love,
Caro
x

2 comments:

Momiji said...

lovely photos of alex and yourself on the farm...would make a nice layout
I love the embossed cards too..gosh..you fit such a lot in a weekend.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good farm visit - it's great for children to learn about the animals and where food comes from.

Love those cards, especially those last ones with the wee picture mounted onto the embossed/coloured background - might need to lift that idea myself!

Great colouring on that metal one too - looks antiqued.

xxxxxxxxxx